Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm not a native speaker

the article showed that the writer had been influenced by many people around her. that her ideas and thoughts was based on what she had seen, or those she had been through. she had so much about language to express to readers.
I was borned and grew up in China, clearly I am not a native English speaker. I was told by adults, teachers, that I have Language endowments, I speak very like native speakers, no matter what the language is. So I was quite proud of that. It was maybe that I felt too comfort and confident about my talent in Language, I found myself disapointed when I was 12. there was a school program which I attended and stayed in America for 10 months, Americans were nice, but I never felt that I speak the same as them, there are somehow a big difference between us and I felt myself like a stereotype book reader to them. So I began to stop talking, just like the childhood writer. Then there was Candace, a American borned Mexican girl, she noticed and tried to convince me that the purpose of foreign people speaking English is to get to know the American culture, as long as Americans can understand me; but if I ever stopped, I would never get any closer. there's no improvements unless I keep practice.
And this is the story that forced me to keep on practice in the last few years, although I still feel the distance, I am trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment